Sunday, November 18, 2007

Answers to Questions

Kelsey's: According to the article, shoppers are influenced by the positioning of merchandise. How influential do you feel this is on the shopper’s willingness to buy? Can positioning really change the success of a business?

Positioning of merchandise is key to the success of a business. Placing trends together, at a prominent position in the shop, draws a customers eye. A style of tops hidden among racks of jeans will not sell itself to a customer. But, if the same top was highlighted at an end cap of the same denim rack, it will fly off the shelves.Jeans sell best folded on tables. Hanging jeans rarely does justice.

Customers flock to attractive denim tables paired with sleek racks full of clothing. Merchandising is a hard art, a balance between organization and visual appeal for the customer.

Last August, the "Free People" shop at Macy's Southdale Store 31 was horrendous. The beautiful clothes were mismatched by color, texture, length, and price. We needed to make room for new merchandise by selling what was on the floor to make room. My manager, Sushma, knew i was up to the task. I re-vamped the department. The next couple of days, we sold out of many sizes, colors, and products. All because of merchandise placement.

Brandon's: This article states, "since the chances that shoppers will buy something are directly related to how long they spend shopping, and how long they spend shopping is directly related to how deep they get pulled into the store." Drawing a person into a store is obviously a very important part of generating sales. So, what draws you into a store? What keeps you browsing in that store?

What draws me in to a store? Where to begin... Stores that usually catch my attention are that more of a boutique/high end scale. Organized stores without the chaos that usually goes along with the Mall of America's Forever 21. I love department stores with the feel of Bloomingdales or Nordstroms. The music of Abercombie can be enticing, but often an intimidating turn off. I like attention from assoicates when I need/ask for it, however a pushy sales associate often is a humongous turn off, but as is the associates that are too busy gossiping to help a customer.

I keep browsing in a store when I find products that have a good balance between product and price point. If I feel like I am getting a good deal, I will stay in a store longer. I will leave if i feel claustrophobic by either the staff or racks or other customers.

No comments: